June 22, 2009

Why are my quads sore?

First of all I have to say THANK YOU to all of my donors who continue to motivate me to pedal to the top of each climb. I am at 50% of my fundraising goal, I hope to reach 100% by the day of the Death Ride on July 11th. If you have been meaning to donate, please go to my TWFK page and donate, or send a check if you wish. Please do it today.

100 miles of riding, yoga, 2 hours of spin class, 2 weight lifting sessions and a couple of random hours of cardio each week. I am getting stronger. 15,000 feet still seems insurmountable. 129 miles is the plan.

Leah did a top 10 list for how you know she is training for the Death Ride. It's fun, take a look.

My version:

10. Scott doesn't make phone calls anymore - too busy trying to figure out when to ride.

9. He answers simple questions like ‘how are you?’ with "huh, do you want the long story, or the condensed version because I have to go out and ride".

8. He is in bed by 9:30pm, and it's still not early enough.

7. He finishes his meal while everyone is still on their first serving and he is wondering if 3rds will be enough.

6. He worries about running out of chocolate flavored Hammer Gel (tastes like chocolate icing).

5. There are no plans made with friends or family unless it includes a 40 mile ride to get there.

4. He cannot sit still for more than 10 minutes without stretching his legs.

3. He'll ride through wind, rain, clouds, cold weather because any training ride cannot be missed. And he HAS ridden through wind, fog, rain, freezing temps, wilting hot temps, and he just missed the snow.

2. His favorite meal is Hammer Recoverite followed by a hot dog and his favorite breakfast is a Vanilla Crisp PowerBar.

1. 9 times out of 10, if you asked where he is you’d be right by answering with "he’s on his bike".

Between riding and fundraising, and trying to fit in work, and family, I am sorry if i haven't connected with you lately.

I am doing it for the kids. They need us.

Thank you all for your continued support.


Recent photos from our training ride. Rand, Leah, Dave and I left from Bear Valley- headed east over Pacific Grade Pass and then down to Hermits Valley. Up the west side of Ebbetts Pass, down to the Carson River Resort. Headed back to Ebbetts Pass, up the east side (mostly in the rain for the remainder of the ride thank-you-very-much), down to Hermits Valley, up and over Pacific Grade Pass (OUCH), and back to Bear Valley. 70 miles.





This was a difficult ride for me. By the time we reached Hermits Valley on the return leg I had lost all my torque. It was all I could do to just keep my legs turning over. I didn't know I could ride so slow and stay upright. I made it back and didn't kill myself :^) Thank you Dave, for staying with me, and encouraging me, you enabled me to make it over the last climb and those pesky rollers leading back to Bear Valley. You are a true friend.


No comments: