April 27, 2009

Tierra Bella Reflections

It's now been a week since I had my first 100 mile day. Last time that happened was around 1995. Been a long time.

Before the TB event I wondered how I would feel around the 75 mile mark, not having done that distance yet this year. It was an unknown for me. I committed to the 100 mile route and had that goal in mind the whole day.

I have been training hard, but really not enough. My ride routes have been chosen for quality, not frequency. Learning how to balance all this has been an experience which I haven't figured out yet: wife, kid, BMX, T-Ball (how did I get roped into helping Coach James I'll never know), music lessons, weights, yoga, spin, TWFK, and oh yea, my business needs to run everyday.

I did ride 100 miles, I survived, and except for my left knee felt really good after. A group of about 8 TWFK riders started out together and had a great rolling time in the morning. The weather was cool- just perfect for the beginning of a long day. On Santa Teresa someone had the idea to pull a 20+mph paceline along the flats. Of course it was fun so we all hung in there. Not really the smartest thing to do early in the mileage for the day. But it felt so GOOD.
I left the Anderson rest stop a few minutes before the others since I knew they would all catch me somewhere on the climb. I think Leah caught me first. She's amazing... flys up the hill, chats everyone up along the way. I think she got her heart-rate up to a 100... :^)

My knee started hurting part way up the climb to Henry Coe State Park. I had plotted out an escape route before the last climb, up to Gilroy Hot Springs, in case I felt like I would injure/hurt myself if I continued. When I approached that spot I evaluated my condition and decided to go for the 100 miles. In retrospect I am glad I made that decision. Sue R and I rode together to Gilroy Hot Springs, had a good rest and refuel, and headed out for the last part of the route together, feeling good.

I ended up at the bottom of the last descent not knowing where Sue was. I coasted waiting for her. She didn't show. I ended up asking the next person down the hill if she'd seen a light blue jersey... she did, on the side of the road crashed, near the top of the descent. Options: ride back up to her (an hour climb) or find a checkpoint with a radio, report it, and get medical to her. Luckily there was a checkpoint near the bottom of the hill. Reported rider down, got a report back she had been found with minor injuries, she'd be taken back to the school. Dave R was at the school and we connected via cell, he would look after her and get her to the hospital to get checked out. Long story short... Dave drove Sue to Nancy's, Nancy the wonder-nurse cleaned Sue up, Sue's got road rash, bruises, a banged up helmet and bike. Cause of the crash is unknown. She went down hard but survived without broken bones or a concussion. Good news considering what could have happened.

Looking back on the day I would have to say it worked out.
The Good:
  • Fueling the body went well and worked
  • Mileage goal was met
  • Bike held together
  • No flats - knock on wood
  • No breakdowns - knock on wood
  • The weather and scenery were beautiful
  • No sunburn
  • Sue survived her crash
The Not-so-Good:
  • Sue crashed
  • Dave was hurting and cut short his ride
  • My knee hurt
  • My gearing was too high
  • I finished without my TWFK teammate

No comments: